Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Life in the 'hood.

There was a shooting on my block a couple of nights ago. I wrote about it in "My Homewood." Other than that, looks like it will go unobserved by the P-G.

Last night, when I came home, my next door neighbor was in front of his house with, presumably, a friend...I saw K. go up onto his porch carrying something wrapped in a white cloth. From the way that the cloth hung, what I could see the object's shape looked like the butt of a rifle.

Janet said that today there was a big blow-up next door and that K. left with bags slung over his shoulder.

There was a 17-year-old kid injured in the shooting. K. knows him.

I don't know what to make of any of it, but I think that being a neighbor will require that I go beyond anything I know.

***********

Meanwhile, in a totally different world, Infoworld reports that the number of businesses planning to upgrade to Windows Vista is shrinking and the numbers of those planning to move to Linux and to OS X are growing.

No comments: