Thursday, November 10, 2016

Trump: A Prediction

I have not seen anyone else say this yet, so I will: I do not expect Donald Trump to last more than six months as President.

More precisely: I believe that within six months of his inauguration, Donald Trump's psychopathy will render him unable to perform the duties of the office.

I'm not placing bets on how his psychopathy will manifest - whether by his first State of the Union address degenerating into gibberish, or whether by him lying curled up in a fetal position on the floor of the Oval Office. But I do believe that by this time next year, Michael Pence will be President.

Donald Trump has assumed responsibilities that he can't lie his way out of, that he can't sue his way out of, that he can't file bankruptcy his way out of. And he has never faced the measure of accountability that the presidency imposes. And he has never had the constraints upon his will that the Constitution imposes.

I don't think he'll make it.

Some folks have said that the last few months, at least, have felt like we were living in a reality show. I say that we're living in a Shakespearean tragedy. The climax, the turning point, was when Trump decided to run for President; everything else since then has led, and still leads, to the future point when Trump is not only out of office, but out of his mind.

Six months. That's a layman's guess. I'll do more reading about psychopathy in the meantime.

And more reading about Michael Pence.

No comments: