Friday, October 04, 2013

What I love most about the Internet

What I love most about the Internet is not that it can bring me the most important news of the day, 24/7; nor that I can has cat photos; nor that I can research any idea or topic I can think of.

What I love most is that I can stumble upon things that I would never look for in a million years, because I would never imagine them in a million years. And as I read, or watch, or listen, I say to myself - "Wow. Somebody did that. Somebody not only thought of that; they took the time and trouble and energy to do that." 

And sometimes, the thought is even, "They persuaded other people to work together to do that. Wow."

Sometimes these...phenomena...don't make any particular sense to me even after I behold them; I remain at a loss to imagine why the people involved did them. But I LIKE THAT, because it reminds me of how endlessly creative humans can be.

So...

I have no idea how anyone got the idea to put 100+ theremins - the electronic instruments that provided the eerie music for so many 1950s science-fiction movies...



...inside 100+ matroyshka dolls (or how they got them to fit!)....


and then, to have 100+ theremin players use them to perform the "Ode to Joy" from Beethoven's 9th Synmphony...and then to boogie it...



...but they did. Somebody got that idea, and dang if they didn't do it:




HUMANS ARE AMAZING, AND I LOVE THE INTERNET.

No comments: