Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Mysteries of the Internet

Well now, this is interesting:

I wrote my last post here on June 9.

I have not linked to or otherwise intentionally promoted this blog since then (at some point I created a link on Homewood Nation; I don't remember whether that was before or after June 9).

According to Blogger's chart for all-time stats, in June this blog received 822 views, one less than the record set in January.

How can that be?

Well, fully ONE-FOURTH of those views were for two older posts "Internet journalism and The Black Church" (106 views), and "How to make yourself pass out, in four easy steps" (105 views). The popularity of the first pleases me. The popularity of the second scares me: it is in fact, my most popular post ever, with 588 total pageviews, more than twice as many as the second-place "Racism (or something like it) in the media," which has garnered 280 views.

I envision teenagers finding their way to that post in their search for a thrill. And worse yet, doing what it says.

Like Stephen King pulling his novel "Rage" from publication, I may wind up taking that post down.

But back to my point  - the popularity of those top two posts, aside, I have no idea what is driving current traffic. After a certain point in June, I gave up any hope of tallying a decent count for the month.

But you folks showed up. I wish more of you would say, "Hi," because I'd love to know where you're from, how you got here, and what you think about anything here.

Especially since you're still showing up, getting this month off to a good start in that regard:

July 1
ReVisions pageviews - 41
Homewood Nation visitors - 330 Average time - 1:22

July 2
ReVisions pageviews - 150
Homewood Nation visitors - 234 Average time - 0:57

About those Homewood Nation numbers - they are high for a website that has mostly had fewer than 100 visitors a day. I ascribe that to the continuing ripple effect of the fact that on June 27, Homewood Nation had 4,981 visitors.

I'll say more about that tomorrow.

No comments: