Saturday, April 02, 2011

April Foolery

I stopped paying attention to April Fools' Day so long ago that I forget there are people out there waiting to prank the world online. This time, I didn't think about it until I saw an item about a report suggesting that saggy pants cause erectile dysfunction.

Sounds suspicious to me, but I gave it a pass because the whole world of medicine sometimes seems like so much charlatanry, as I expressed in this tweet last night as @elwin15208:

TV commercials for Pristiq always make me wonder: if an anti-depressant may increase thoughts of suicide, what would a depressant do?

But Google totally got me, partly because of my trip to Office Depot Thursday. There I was, practically drooling over their touchscreen desktop computers, and feeling somewhat frustrated by the degree to which I still must rely on keyboard and mouse. I have been spoiled by my touchscreen phone; more than that, watching "Iron Man" immediately made me want Tony Stark's computer, Jarvis, which (who?) responds seamlessly to voice command, keyboard, mouse and gestures.

So when I saw the notice on Google about "Gmail Motion," I was in. And when I realized what was happening, I had a good hearty laugh.

Well done, Google!

No comments: