Wednesday, March 24, 2004

The past is prologue.

Theology->Economics (i.e., earth+people+tools)->Politics...

I read or heard recently that 80% of American households now have at least one PC.

I'd like to know how that breaks down in terms of race, age, income levels (although I think practically anybody can afford some kind of PC nowadays. They're in the Pennysaver for $25, fer cryin out loud.) I will guess that far less than 80% of Black American households have at least one PC.

So here I sit, with a notebook, a laptop, 4 working desktops, 2 non-working desktops, and two server boxes containing a total of 11 single board (blade) computers. Of those, 5 are Pentium. The portables and 3 of the desktops are older Pentiums, and the remainder are 486s, but the fact remains that I have a surfeit of machines.

Years ago, I saw a magazine ad which showed a notebook computer hooked into the cockpit of a passenger jet. The point was that this portable computer had enough processing power to operate a 747 (or whatever model the jet was).

I think the computer was a 486.

So, could I operate a space shuttle?

Better: since I don't have a space shuttle, what *could* I do with all this stuff? And why in the world am I still tempted when I see a $25 Pentium listed in the Pennysaver? What could I possibly do with *more* stuff?

This is what I'd like to do:

Write. A lot. Essays. Screenplays. Stories, poems.

Compose.

Edit movies. Create special effects.

Search for extra-terrestrial life.

And finally, help to develop Linux-based software for generating smart contracts that governments of developing nations can use to establish systems of property law that will enable their citizens to capitalize their assets.

As an IT ignoramus, my part in that would be persuading or encouraging or funding or...something...not writing code.

So I guess I won't use 18 or 19 computers for that.


No comments: