Thursday, May 08, 2008

Tonight I received my first award as a journalist. It came from the Pittsburgh Black Media Federation, and was given for "A Hard Lesson" (I don't know where that title came from), a story about Keith Gardner's failed run at starting a business. It was named best business feature in a print publication with more than 100,000 circulation. Since all of the awards are by definition for stories about black folks, that really meant, the best business feature about a black person in a print publication with more than 100,000 circulation. I suspect that is a really tiny category.

Still, it is nice - very nice - to be appreciated. I'll enjoy looking at my plaque a few times before letting Mom have it.

And the gathering itself reminded me that being a journalist is important. I'm fortunate that it pays better than anything else I've done, and it can be a lot of fun. But it is also important.

That is good to remember.

No comments: