Thursday, August 23, 2007

APC Magazine has an interview with Linus Torvalds in which the Chief Penguin expresses his doubt that there will be a version 3 of Linux. Why in the world would he say such a thing? I'll only say this: I think his reasoning is at the very least interesting, and quite possibly right.

Linus has a way of coming out with unexpected things. I have not read many interviews with him, but the ones I have read, I've always enjoyed. He always comes across as so...cool, you know? Composed. Unworried. And with a nice sense of humor.

I just discovered The Dwacon Blog (sorry, DC, I don't know how to make that little R-in-a-circle that means "Registered," as in trademark), which is the work of one Dwayne Conyers. It's fun; check it out.

Besides "Ten Keys," I also recently finished another short script on my own, titled "No Dessert." I now have under my belt as a screenwriter, five shorts written solo and two others as co-writer. Now I set myself a set of challenges: to complete the two shorts that I have in post-production; to finish writing my first feature (I've started two), and to get my personal website up and running, all before heading out to L.A. for Screenwriting Expo 6 (I attended Expo 5 last year and decided within the first day that I would be back at least two more years).

These must all be labeled MUST.

I particularly and especially want to present a completed script to Pilar Alessandra and Dara Marks, two instructors at Expo 5 who made deep impressions on me. So much so that I am now going to shamelessly plug them both, gratis. To all my fellow screenwriters, especially those who aren't making a living at it yet: Ms. Alessandra now has a podcast. Subscribe to it. Ms. Marks has a book, "Inside Story: The Power of the Transformational Arc." Buy it (don't just check it out from the library, as you will probably want to mark it up).

No comments: