Sunday, December 11, 2016

A Word Of Encouragement, For The Ecclesia

Paul's letter to the Ephesians opens with an explosive doxology that launches it into the stratosphere:

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has bestowed on us in Christ every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms..."

It continues for another 10 or so verses, which all comprise one gigantic, mind-altering sentence. I'll stop for now to focus on two words.

"HAS bestowed" - past tense.
"EVERY spiritual blessing" - not "some," not "most."

One day, as I let that sink in, I thought about how those spiritual blessings might include things I have sought from other people, such as esteem, confidence, or validation. And this came to me. I submit it for your evaluation, and if you find it edifying, for your use.

"Stop asking other people
for things I have already given you.
You have Me.
You have the riches of our relationship.
You have you - all of the gifts and abilities I have placed within you.
Receive. Cultivate. Give. Repeat."

What say you, brothers and sisters?

No comments: