Friday, May 06, 2016

Elwin vs. Elwin

EDIT, 5-7-17: Today I realized that the commercial that sparked this post has disappeared from YouTube. And so far, I can't find it anywhere else. Which frustrates me, because I think it deserves to be publically accessible forever - it was just that good. Anyway, it featured imagined scenarios of top achievers competing against themselves: Muhammad Ali vs Muhammad Ali, Martina Navratilova vs Navrativlova...ending with the Porsce 911 vs the Porsche 911.

Adweek wrote about it here.

**********************

Today I discovered this commercial for the Porsche 911, which first aired in December:




This speaks to me deeply right now, in the place where I am. I survey my life and on all sides I see that it is me against me - that I am my own greatest opponent. I am the screw, the jailer with the key ring hanging from his belt loop; I am the dragon at the entrance of the cave. The moment I conquer myself, I will liberate myself. Ultimately, my life is not about anyone else's words or actions, nor is it about my circumstances (things standing around). It is about my choices, my decisions at the deepest level of my being.

Task the first: becoming conscious of deciding, at the deepest levels of my being. Moment by moment. Then comes the second challenge - learning to decide differently.

Perhaps the biggest difference to discover is the difference between having fear guide (if not dominate) my decision-making, and deciding without fear.

Paul says in Ephesians that we are, in Christ, seated at the right hand of God the Father. 

Is there any fear there, in the throne room - in the fellowship between the Father and the Son?

Never. Never, never, never. In the throne room, there is no fear. Therefore, fear plays no part in throne room decision-making. Ever.

Teach me, Lord, to express here the life I share with You there.

No comments: