Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Intermezzo with a child.

I was walking down the street toward the bus stop when I saw a boy who appeared to be between 6 and 8 years old coming toward me.

Apparently he had just finished a bag of chips, for he tossed the empty bag onto the vacant lot we were both passing.

I spoke as he came nearer.

"Excuse me, young man..."

He stopped, apprehensive. I oozed honey
.
"...could you do me a favor?"

"Yes?"

"Could you pick up that bag you threw on the ground and take it home and put it in the trash instead of leaving on the street?"

"Yes." He turned back and retrieved the bag. I released a final dollop of honey.

"Thank you very much!" And we went our ways - I, to wonder how to make such minor course corrections more common in Homewood; he, probably, to forget.

And so it goes.

No comments: