Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Google+'s whitespace - a modest proposal

Well, Google, since your redesign of Google+ has people lighting up the Internet with hints and suggestions about what to do with the huge chunk of white space you've left to the right of the screen (as I'm sure you've noticed here and here), I figure I may as well thrown in my .02 - so here 'tis, in rough form:

Very simply, I'd like to see the white space as subdividable containers for widgets, like the spaces for widgets on my Blogger page. And the two widgets that I would most like to place in those spaces would be a calendar widget and a Gmail widget - both of which would be much simpler than the webpages I've shoehorned into the spaces here. I would also like to be able to click on a person's name at right and drag and drop it onto the calendar to set an appointment with that person, and to drag and drop it onto the Gmail widget to open a new email addressed to that person.

It'd be great if you could deliver that by COB Friday, ok? OK!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What is the "Compose self" option? Write an email preaddressed to yourself?

Elwin Green said...

Yep. It's a way to make a quick note about something without completely interrupting my workflow.