Saturday, January 19, 2013

The thrill is gone

I think something inside me died Thursday night.

My wife and I were in the living room, watching "Rock Center," having tuned in for their story on Scientology. A commercial came on about planned news coverage of President Obama's second inauguration on Monday, and she said, ""We have to watch that."

I responded with something less than a shrug, and she said,

"You don't care." And I said,

"He's going to put his hand on a Bible and make a promise that he won't keep, and nobody will even care that he doesn't keep it."

And as I heard myself say that, it felt like something inside me had died. A few days ago, in response to the suicide of Aaron Swartz, I said that in future elections, I don't expect either the Republican or the Democrat party to offer a presidential candidate who will preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

I guess what died Thursday was the illusion that either party had done so in the last election.

Or the one before that.

Or the one before that...

And with it died the imagining that the press might press a president on his constitutional duty toward the Constitution.

I don't know what my political life will look like going forward. I do know that it will not look like November 4, 2008, when the outcome of an election made me feel glad and proud. 
Post a Comment